Sunday, December 23, 2012

december 23 :: Letters to Sabrina


Dear Sabrina...all the things that remind me of you.


Poem 3  ::  from Daddy


photo of the day:  silence fell


Return Home

Silence fell
as I drove home,
the crushing weight
of no baby 
to bring 
to our house,
empty arms
as I walked up the
icy steps,
to an empty 
home.

"Is it ok?" Abbey asks,
"Is everything alright?"

I don't have the heart,
to tell her.

"We need to go to
the hospital,"
I said.

Her eyes 
lit up,
she grabbed 
Ethan's
hand,
we headed back 
to
the hospital.

I don't have the heart.

The drive 
is silent,
the hallway
is still.

Outside
the door
I explained -
too late -
something
was not right,
something 
went wrong,
we have no little girl,
she's
not coming
home. 

The doors open,
pain sets in,
my kids 
experience 
for the first time
what 
I've been 
walking through
all night,
our Father
for 
eternity.

It is too much,
a silent baby,
wrapped in swaddling
clothes, on 
Christmas morning,
arms stiffening,
the morgue
coming, to take 
you,
away.

Ethan reached out
to touch her
hand.

We returned home,
smaller, 
quieter,
to face the rest
of our lives,
without you,
even, though
you'll always
be 
with us.

To, my little Sabrina.

With love, your Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment